Monday, October 29, 2012

The Back Up Plan

Day 1 of the pig... and sadly, no pork chops.  See my last post about that.  But, since we had been clever enough to pick up one of Spartan Country Meat's very delicious fresh chickens while we were at the market, we didn't starve.

I'm a fan of roast chicken generally, but the ones we get from the market are sublime... food for the soul.

My favorite way to roast a chicken (in the 3-4 pound range) is to crank the oven up to 450 F.  Gently slide slivers of garlic up under the skin, over the breast and leg meat.  Salt and pepper liberally, inside and out.  Add fresh sprigs of rosemary to the cavity.  Heat an oven-proof skillet big enough to just barely hold the chicken on the stove on high.  Add enough vegetable oil to just cover the base of the pan.  Wait until the oil is very hot (it will be shimmering).  Tuck the wings under, and lay the chicken in the pan, breast side down.  Then pop the chicken in to the oven for 35 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven, remembering that the pan handle will be scorching hot.  Carefully remove the chicken from the pan. Pour out the juices that have accumulated... they'll be mostly fat.  Then replace the chicken, breast side up, and roast for another 30 minutes.  It will need to rest 10-15 minutes after it comes of the oven, which is perfect timing for making a simple pan sauce.  We served this one with roasted sun chokes from the East Lansing Farmer's market, and a simple green salad.  Long live the back up plan!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!!! I think I had this yummy chicken for lunch at your house one day...it had that AMAZING stuffing (I think it was stuffing or rice?) with grapes inside...will you consider a post on how to make it??? LOOOOOOOOOVE that you started a blog...you're a natural! xo Sara McVey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Sara. Smooch! Thanks for reading. And I would love to post how I made that chicken, but I don't remember... I make it up as I go, you know? Sheesh! I hope you're well, sweets. Talk to you soon.
    m

    ReplyDelete